Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Green Bay, WI

How to Verify a Professional's License in Green Bay?

Licensed professionals in Green Bay are typically regulated by state agencies and city departments, making them less likely to engage in unfair business practices. Essentially, it is ideal to hire licensed professionals for your projects, as this increases your chances of receiving a hitch-free service delivery. The Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services (DSPS) licenses professionals across 227 professional and trade categories in Green Bay. Accordingly, residents of Green Bay can verify a professional's license by utilizing the license verification portal maintained by this Department. Besides utilizing this verification portal, residents can also contact the DSPS at (608) 266-2112 or by email for assistance with professional license verification or general licensing inquiries.

After verifying a professional's license, you should also ensure that other requirements related to your project are satisfied. For example, to begin a construction project in Green Bay, you must obtain the necessary permits from the Building Inspection Division of the city's Department of Community and Economic Development. General inquiries on construction-related requirements can also be directed to this Department at (920) 448-3300.

Wisconsin Contractor License Search:

Do Green Bay Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

Green Bay is divided into 12 wards, and each ward comprises several neighborhoods within the city. Each of the 12 wards is represented by an alderperson, and the 12 alderpersons make up the Green Bay Common Council. Together with the City Mayor, the Common Council governs the city and performs several administrative and regulatory roles, including making city ordinances, approving annual city budgets, and deliberating on various issues affecting city residents. Residents can check the Green Bay city map to explore how the city is divided and which neighborhood is under which ward. Although the Common Council performs several administrative roles, it does not issue building permits. However, the Common Council may approve plans and activities that involve public infrastructural improvements, constructions, and other such matters within Green Bay. For instance, in May 2021, the Common Council approved the Shipyard District Project, which is a $21 million project involving the construction of a mixed-use building that will include residential apartments and commercial spaces. Likewise, in July 2021, the Common Council approved the development of a 172-unit apartment building that would also house a grocery store and have retail space for interested businesses.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Green bay?

The Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade, and Consumer Protection (DATCP) handles general consumer complaints regarding businesses or professionals in Green Bay, and residents can file such complaints online, by email, or by mail. For email and mail filings, a complainant must obtain an English or Spanish Consumer Complaint Form and either submit the completed form via email or via mail to

  • Bureau of Consumer Protection
  • 2811 Agriculture Drive
  • P.O. Box 8911
  • Madison, WI 53708-8911

Alternatively, residents can submit their complaints with the Wisconsin Department of Justice (DOJ). Complaints can only be submitted to this Department by filling and submitting an online complaint form. Upon receiving your complaint, the Wisconsin DOJ may refer it to the agency regulating the occupational category of the reported professional or business. Therefore, complainants are advised to directly submit unfair business complaints to the respective agency regulating the relevant professional or business for quicker processing time. To this end, the Wisconsin DOJ maintains a complaint referral table to assist and guide complainants. For further inquiries or assistance, you can contact the Wisconsin DOJ at (608) 266-1221.

Residents who prefer to settle their complaints directly with the relevant business or professional can utilize any alternative dispute resolution programs available in Green Bay. Such dispute resolution programs include mediation and arbitration. For inquiries or assistance with initiating a dispute resolution process, residents can contact the Wisconsin Department of Administration by email or at (608) 264-6102.

If you are unable to settle with the relevant business or professional, you can commence legal action and claim compensation for the unfair business practice you experienced. You can commence such legal action by filing a small claims case at the Brown County Circuit Court. Note that you are not allowed to claim more than $10,000 in a small claims case. Note that while you may represent yourself during the small claims proceedings, it is best to consult an attorney for legal advice.