Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Madison, WI

How to Verify a Professional's License in Madison?

Hiring the right professional is a task that you cannot take lightly as this can directly affect the outcome of your project. As such, it is essential that you make sure that the professional you intend to hire has been duly licensed by the appropriate agency. In Madison, professionals are licensed by the Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services, and this regulates the activities of over 100 types of professionals, including acupuncturists, electricians, and dwelling contractors in the city. The Department also provides an Online License Verification System that you can use to verify the licensing status of your desired professional.

Note that you may also need to obtain a government-issued permit before commencing certain types of projects in Madison. You can get these permits from the city's Department of Planning, Community and Economic Development (DPCED). For further information on how to acquire a permit, you can call the DPCED at (608) 266-4559.

Wisconsin Contractor License Search:

Do Madison Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

Madison currently has 91 neighborhood associations. Each neighborhood association consists of interested residents who are committed to improving the areas that they live in. Through these associations, the city's government can receive input on matters that affect the quality of life of citizens in a particular geographic area. For instance, in March 2021, the Campus Area Neighborhood Association (CANA) opposed a proposal by Core Spaces to build an apartment complex on Langdon Street. As a result, Madison Plan Commission rejected the proposal. In contrast, the Triangle Neighborhood Association, through its president, expressed joy over the redevelopment of about 340 deteriorating houses. However, although these neighborhood associations can point out important projects the neighborhood needs to undertake, they do not have the authority to issue permits of any kind.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Madison?

Madison residents who have complaints regarding the unfair practices of a business may file these complaints with the city by completing and submitting an online consumer complaint form.

Alternatively, you can also report unfair business activities to the Office of Consumer Protection located in the City. To do this, you can either call (608) 266-1852 or send a letter containing your contact details as well as that of the defaulting business, the date and location of the transaction in question, and a brief description of what transpired between you and the business to:

  • Office of Consumer Protection,
  • P.O. Box 7856,
  • Madison, WI 53707-7856

After the Office of Consumer Protection receives a complaint and gets a response from the business complained about, it may provide mediation to resolve the situation or launch an investigation into the business and its activities. Note that it will only do the latter if the complaint involves a contravention of the state's consumer laws. Depending on the nature and seriousness of the accusations, the District Attorney's Office may also file a lawsuit against the business to prevent it from harming other consumers. In certain situations, the office may request the court to order the violating business to return any money lost by the complainant. However, it is important to note that the District Attorney's Office cannot offer you private legal advice or representation in court. Nonetheless, you can file a personal lawsuit against the business with the Dane County Small Claims Court.